Teaching in the Internet age means we must teach tomorrow’s skills today.
The aim of the Computing department is to ensure that all the pupils have the ability to use IT tools and information sources effectively in order to analyse, process and present information.
In addition they should be able to use ICT to model, measure and control external events. We are not aiming to simply create a group of unimaginative computer users, but creative, forward-thinking and able programmers, problem-solvers, web-designers, games-makers and app-developers of the future.
In the Pre-Prep Computing Curriculum pupils are introduced to a wide range of uses for IT. Children have discrete Computing lessons taught by the Head of Computing, with support from their form teacher and teaching assistant. They are introduced to sound, graphics, presentation, animation, text and data handling, as well as simple programming and simulations.
In the Prep department the Computing curriculum is aimed at developing digital literacy and an understanding of an array of digital devices, through an introduction to programming, simulation, animation, website design, sound editing, digital imagery and graphics editing, along with more traditional areas of IT, such as presentation, text and data handling.
Online safety is also an integral part of this curriculum and we promote an emphasis on developing an awareness of e-safety both within school and at home.
The school has a fully-equipped computer suite, along with computer banks located in the library, nursery and all classrooms that pupils are encouraged to use in lessons and less formally in other school time. All classrooms have interactive whiteboards that are used by staff to enhance their lessons to create a stimulating learning experience.
What will my child study?
- Year 1 - E-Safety, Controlling Devices, Digital Content & Animation, Data Handling, Design & Text Handling Research, Programming.
- Year 2 - E-Safety & Email, Data Handling & Animation, Stimulations & Sequences, Internet Research & Databases, Manipulating Sound, Text & Images, Programming.
- Year 3 - E-Safety & Internet Reseach, Commuincation Tools using email & video links, Editing Digital Content, Design & Publishing, Programming, Digital Photography & Online Editing Tools.
- Year 4 - E-Safety & Graphic Design, Editing Sound & Images, Controlling Devices & Writing Procedures, Internet Reseach, Data Handling & Presenting Information, Digital Photography & Publishing, Programming.
- Year 5 - E-Safety, Image Manipulation & Blogging, Simulations & Working with Formulas, Data Analysis, Product Design, Programming, Data Handling & Presentation of Results.
- Year 6 - E-Safety, Internet Research & Presentation, Data Analysis & Evaluation, Programming, Website Design, Simulations & Controlling Devices, Video & Image Design Project.