The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers; he's one who asks the right questions.
Science is central to our understanding of the world and our aim in teaching science at Warwick Prep is to reflect the importance of the subject in our everyday lives. We help the children to understand the world around them, whilst kindling and encouraging in them a real appreciation for Science in all its diverse and fascinating forms.
We endeavour to develop a set of attitudes in the pupils which promote scientific ways of thinking. These include open-mindedness, perseverance, objectivity and recognition of the value of teamwork, especially in practical experiments.
At Warwick Prep we love to hear " Wow, can we do it again!"
In the Pre-Prep department the children begin exploring and discovering the world around them. The emphasis is on practical Science with many opportunities for hands-on challenges and momentous experiences, from floating boats to melting chocolate, making monster slime and observing chickens hatch.
At Warwick Prep from Year 3, Science is taught by specialist Science teachers in two very well equipped laboratories. Great emphasis is placed upon practical, investigative approach encouraging enthusiastic, enquiring minds. Practical work is not only a fun way of learning, but also enhances children's understanding of scientific concepts. From neutralising acids to studying moon phases using Oreo biscuits, the pupils are encouraged to develop a range of skills including hypothesizing, observing, measuring and recording using a variety of equipment. Pupils are inspired to ask questions, develop confidence and knowledge so that they can be the best that they can be within this ever advancing subject. We hope that Claude Levi-Strauss would be proud of them!
What will my child study?
- Year 1 - Ourselves, Colour, Light & Dark, Materials, Minibeasts & their Habitats.
- Year 2 - Health & Growth, Forces & Movement, Electricity& Magnetism, Grouping & Changing Materials, Living World.
- Year 3 - Measuring, Ourselves, Colour & Light, Rocks & Soil, Substances & their Properties, Let's Investigate.
- Year 4 - Healthy Eating, Water, Who Eats Who?, Solids, Liquids and Gases, Magnetism, Leaves, Trees & Flowers.
- Year 5 - Electricity, Classification & Adaptation, Sound & Light, Fruits and Seeds, Human Machine, Physical and Chemical Changes.
- Year 6 - Forces, Solar System & Rocks, Acids & Alkalis, Micro-organisms, Human Biology, Ecology.